Well, we’ve been yet again shown how stubborn our little girl is already! We had such hope for the version procedure to work to flip baby out of her breech position, but it ended up being unsuccessful.. She’s just waay too happy in her current position! So now we’re down to 2 weeks left to see what will naturally happen and what our options are otherwise.
We’re quite disappointed that baby is still breech and that it appears there’s very little chance for our natural birth to happen.. Which after telling people how we feel, we’ve received a bit of judgment for not just embracing a C-section with open arms. We’ve put a lot of time and effort in preparing for a natural birth at a birth center and I think it’s understandable and valid for us to feel sad/disappointed that we’re likely going to be in a hospital instead with a high chance of a C-section (=major surgery).
Of course the ultimate goal is for baby (and myself) to be safe and healthy, which has always been the first priority for us. Unfortunately many people we’re close to seem to think that our being disappointed means that we are going to try to go against the doctor’s advice or do something unsafe apparently in order to have the birth that we want.. To that I’m just going to say that we have done our homework and know the risks/benefits of every procedure more than any of you, especially as it relates to our specific case. We will be doing whatever is necessary to assure the safety of both baby and mom. If you really want to support us, trust us and believe that we will make the right decisions as they come up – any “advice” other than that is not helpful nor welcome.
Moving on… 38 weeks! We are in the final countdown! Cannot wait to meet my little girl and begin our new life together as a family of 3!!!
- How far along: 38 weeks
- Total weight gain: 29 pounds
- Baby is the size of: A PUMPKIN! – 20 inches & almost 7 pounds!
- Maternity clothes: Yoga pants = my daily uniform. Stretchy tank tops and sweaters for the top. That’s really about all I wear lately..
- Sleep: Has been good lately! The time I’m asleep has been solid and felt restful. When I get up to pee though, I am always awake for 1-2 hours at a time.. I guess it evens itself out? Jase says he thinks my body is preparing itself to be awake throughout the night for after baby comes.
- Workouts: A few (slow) walks and a fantastic swim yesterday! It was amazing to feel so light and free in the water compared to the reality of this heavy belly I am always carrying around.. lol
- Movement: In general I guess she’s moving less than before, though she still has her spurts of activity. The limited space must be finally getting to her – more often now I’m feeling her hand dragging across my belly or her shoulder twitching back and forth as she wiggles for room.
- Symptoms: For all the symptoms I do have, I’m still incredibly happy with how this pregnancy has gone! I feel like overall this baby has been so, so good to me and I am so thankful! And though I may complain at times, I honestly wouldn’t trade one second of it! <3
- # of times waking to pee: 2 times a night
- Food cravings: Still into sweets, though I feel like lately that’s all I’ve been eating – it’s just so easy to snack on all the holiday cookies and candy that are sitting around instead of something a bit healthier.. :/
- Food aversions: Nothing this week
- Belly Button in or out: Still an innie, with occasional outtie tendencies.. lol
- What I miss: being able to sleep on more than just one side or the other, my clothes, my regular body in general.. lol
- What I am looking forward to: My friend Kayla is due this week – cannot wait to hear when she goes into labor and see a picture of her sweet boy!
- Gender: Baby girl!
- Milestones: We had our last Christmas as a family of 2!! It was just the 2 of us (along with the dog and cats..) celebrating together this year in San Diego and it was perfectly mellow and sweet – just what we needed! We spent the evening cuddled up by the fire, opening presents and just talking about what our future will be like! <3
- Baby items purchased: We realized we didn’t have a trash can for diapers, which is kinda important! lol (it will convert to the laundry pail after the first week when we switch to cloth diapers..) We also got everything remaining on our list for our hospital/birth center bags – they’re now all packed and ready to go!
- Overall Mood: Happy but disappointed.. Also quite upset hearing from people that do not fully support/trust our decision-making skills. Many tears have been shed this week.. I appreciate those of you who actually believe in us, especially as the parents we are soon to become!
- Names: We have 2 full names picked out to choose from – middle names and all! We narrowed it down and decided on Christmas day!
- Labor Signs: None, though lots of Braxton Hicks!
- Best moment this week: A couple little moments: 1.)Our sweet Christmas evening spent together! 2.) After feeling crappy Friday evening, making a Saturday date with a good friend for pedicures, coffee, and a much needed long chat! 3.) I had a really good laugh at our appointment when the doctor was feeling for the baby’s position and as he grabbed her bottom, he exclaimed “wow, she’s got a nice butt!”